Newborough, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Newborough, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Staffordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Uttoxeter|
|Parish registers: 1601|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1660|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
NEWBOROUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of Hanbury, union of Uttoxeter, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles(E.) from Abbot's-Bromley.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Newborough All Saints former chapelry of Hanley, Staffordshire Genealogy Created as aparish in 1784 Burial ground from 1855
Newborough parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NEWBOROUGH PARISH Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1601-1899 Mar 1601-1834 Bur grounds dates from 1855 (part Bishop's Trancripts)
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1661-1884 Mar 1661-1843 Bur none Missing 1849-1840
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Newborough, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 374-379. Date accessed: 05 November 2012.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 23 July 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8