Newington next Sittingbourne, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Newington next Sittingbourne, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Newington next Sittingbourne, Kent|
|Poor Law Union||Milton|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1567|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
NEWINGTON, a village and a parish in Wilton district, Kent. The village stands on Watling-street, and on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway; 3¼ miles WNW of Sittingbourne. 
Newington is a village and civil parish and is on the A2 between Chatham to the west and Sittingbourne to the east, see Newington Swale Wikipedia.
Newington next Sittingbourne St Mary is an Ancient parish which includes Breach; a map of the parish boundary may be found at A church near you. The parish and is one of six churches in a group The Six website>
The church of St Mary, High Oak Hill, Newington dates from the 13th century with additions in later centuries and was restored in 1862. The church has been designated as a grade I listed building by English Heritage British listed building.
See Edward Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 6 (1798), pp. 40-67. Date accessed: 9 September 2013.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Newington next Sittingbourne parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FREL = FamilyRelatives|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|Newington next Sittingbourne Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1756-1900 (banns)|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Newington available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832 These images refer to Newington next Sittingbourne but have not been waypointed in this way.
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes. Perhaps Newington next Hythe.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.