Nonington, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Nonington, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Nonington St Mary the Virgin Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Eastry|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1564|
|Probate Court||Pre-1547 - Court of the Exempt Jurisdiction of Wingham; Post-1546 - Court of the Bishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
NONINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Eastry, hundred of Wingham, lathe of St. Augustine, E division of Kent, 4¼ miles S by E from Wingham. 
Nonington is a village and civil parish in the Dover district of Kent Nonington Wikipedia
Nonington St Mary the Virgin is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Canterbury. The parish is part of the East Bridge deanery deanery interactive website and a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
The church which dates from 13th century and was originally a chapelry of Wingham, Kent Genealogy until 1282; it was restored by Ewan Christian in 1867 and again in 1887. It is designated by English Heritage as a grade I listed building, British listed building.
- See Edward Hasted [The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 251-262. Date accessed: 9 September 2013.
- at British History Online and
- Kent Churches website
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Nonington parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Nonington Online Parish Records|
|FS Canterbury PRs||1538-1986||1538-1986||1538-1986|
|FMP East Kent||1538-1754||1813-1841|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- Kent Online Parish Clerks has indexes available for select parishes.
- Records are also available at the Kent Archives.
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Nonington are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
- See Kent Census
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 416-421. Date accessed: 22 April 2013.