|Ohio Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places
- Linkpendium Maps and Gazetteers
- The Ohio gazetteer, or Topographical dictionary John Kilbourn. The Ohio Gazetteer, or Topographical Dictionary : being a continuation of the work originally compiled by the late John Kilbourn. Salt Lake City, Utah : Digitized by FamilySearch International, 2018
- Ohio Town Names William D. Overman. Ohio Town Names. Akron, Ohio : Ohio, 1958,1959c Atlantic press. Digital Publisher FamilySearch International
- Columbus, Ohio, City Directory Columbus, Ohio, City Directory 1870-71. Columbus, Ohio, A Bailey Publisher
- Adam's directory of points and landings on rivers and bayous in the states of ...Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin Louis A Adams. Adam's Directory of Points and Landings on Rivers and Bayous in the states of Alabama, ... Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. New Orleans : W. L. Murray 1877
- The National gazetteer of the United States of America. United States Concise 1990 U S Geological Survey. The National gazetteer of the United States of America. United States Concise 1990. Washington : U.S. G.P.O. ; 1990.
- R. L. Polk's directory of directories R L Polk. R. L. Polk's Directory of Directories, contains an alphabetically arranged list of directories published in the United States and Canada, also list of trade and professional directories. New York, cop.1916
- Ohio state gazetteer and business directory for 1860-61 George W Hawes. Ohio state gazetteer and business directory for 1860-61. Ann Arbor, Michigan: University of Michigan Library 2005
Print Only Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Ohio atlas & gazetteer Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer : detailed road maps of the entire state ; guide to outdoor recreation. Freeport, Maine : DeLorme Mapping Company, c1987
- The Ohio gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary John Kilbourn. The Ohio Gazetteer, or, Topographical Dictionary, containing a description of the several counties, towns [etc.] in the state of Ohio. Columbus, Ohio : J. Kilbourn, 1826
- Ohio towns and townships to 1900 : a location guide Julie Minot Overton. Ohio Towns and Townships to 1900 : a location guide. Mansfield, Ohio : Ohio Genealogical Society. Florida Chapter, c2000
- Ohio, her counties, her townships & her towns Joan Colbert Gioe. Ohio, Her Counties, Her Townships & Her Towns. Indianapolis, Indiana : Researchers, [198-?]
- History and Geography of Ohio William M. Gregory and William B. Guitteau. History and Geography of Ohio. Boston, Massachusetts : Ginn, c1929
- Ohio Place Names Larry L. Miller. Ohio Place Names. Bloomington, Indiana : Indiana University Press, c1996
Why Use Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
A gazetteer is a dictionary of place-names. Gazetteers list or describe towns and villages, parishes, states, populations, rivers and mountains, and other geographical features. They usually include only the names of places that existed at the time the gazetteer was published. Within a specific geographical area, the place-names are listed in alphabetical order, similar to a dictionary. You can use a gazetteer to locate the places where your family lived and to determine the civil and religious jurisdictions over those places.
There are many places within a state with similar or identical place-names. You will need to use a gazetteer to identify the specific town where your ancestor lived, the state the town was or is in, and the jurisdictions where records about the person was kept.
Gazetteer Contents[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers may also provide additional information about towns, such as:
- Different religious denominations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Major manufacturers, canals, docks, and railroad stations
- The population size.
- Boundaries of civil jurisdiction.
- Ecclesiastical jurisdiction(s)
- Longitude and latitude.
- Distances and direction from other from cities.
- Schools, colleges, and universities.
- Denominations and number of churches.
- Historical and biographical information on some individuals (usually high-ranking or famous individuals)