Palmer's Company, Tennessee Light Artillery (Reneau Battery)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
"This company was raised in West Tennessee within the Federal lines in early 1863 as part of Colonel R.V. Richardson's West Tennessee Brigade. It was organized June 1, 1863, and mustered into Confederate service by Colonel Richardson on that date. Most of the men seem to have been from Tipton and Fayette Counties. Richardson's Brigade made a hasty evacuation of West Tennessee about August 1, 1863, and reached Okolona, Mississippi August 10. The muster roll of the battery had many names with the comment "cut offf in the evacuation of West Tennessee." The only report from the battery showed station, Okolona, Mississippi, July-September, 1863." 
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit. 
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. Memorial rolls for Renau's Battery can be found on page 874.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, Captain Baylor Palmer's Tennessee Light Artillery Company, (accesseed 31 Dec 2011).
- fold3$, Capt Palmer's Co, Light Artillery (Reneau Battery) AND Capt Phillips' Co, Light Artillery (Johnson Light Artillery) AND Capt Polk's Battery, Light Artillery AND Capt Ramsey's Battery, Artillery, (accessed 26 Apr 2012). Unit information and rosters.
References[edit | edit source]
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, Captain Baylor Palmer's Tennessee Light Artillery Company, (accessed 31 Dec 2011).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).