|Pennsylvania Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- Abstracts from the PA Gazette, 1748-1755, ($), index
- Pennsylvania Online Historical Newspapers
- Newspaper Archive ($)
- Online Pennsylvania Newspapers
- Pennsylvania Newspapers Online
- World Vital Records Newspaper Archive Collection for Pennsylvania ($)
- Pennsylvania Newspapers ($)
- Chronicling America
- Ancestor Hunt Pennsylvania Newspaper Links
- Pennsylvania Online Historical Newspapers Summary
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Archives (1719 - 1995) , GenealogyBank
- Pennsylvania Newspapers, by county and town
- PA Photos and Documents this site digitized photos and documents.
- Pennsylvania Newspapers, 1795-2009$ Index and Images.
- Philadelphia Roman Catholic Diocesan Newspaper images and index ($)
Newspapers are an important source for vital records, etc., during the period before Pennsylvania began keeping civil vital records.
History[edit | edit source]
Pennsylvania's first newspaper was the American Weekly Mercury published in Philadelphia in 1719. Ben Franklin's Pennsylvania Gazette began in 1728.
Pennsylvania presses published German-language newspapers as early as the eighteenth century:
- Stoudt, John Joseph, The German Press in Pennsylvania, The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 59, No. 1 (Jan. 1935):76-90. For free online access, see WeRelate.
- Reading Adler, Reading Eagle, 28 May 1868; "About Der Readinger Adler (Reading, Pa.)," Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers.
Resources for Pennsylvania Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Inventory[edit | edit source]
- The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections
- Rauco, Louis F.; State Library of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Newspapers and Selected Out-of-State Newspapers (S.I.:s.n., 1984] WorldCat 14273189 FHL Collection Includes list of newspapers held by the State Library of Pennsylvania.
- Salisbury, Ruth Salisbury, Pennsylvania Newspapers, a Bibliography and Union List (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Library Association, 1969. FHL book 974.8 A3s. A listing of all newspapers ever known to have been published, with locations.
- Pennsylvania Historical Survey, Division of Community Service Programs, Work Projects Administration, A Checklist of Pennsylvania Newspapers, Philadelphia County (Harrisburg, Pa.; Pennsylvania Historical Commission, 1944) FHL fiche 6101596; book 974.811 B33. An inventory for Philadelphia County.
Libraries and Archives[edit | edit source]
The State Library of Pennsylvania has the largest newspaper collection. An inventory of these is Louis F. Rauco, Pennsylvania Newspapers and Selected Out-of-State Newspapers ([S. l.: s. n.], 1984. FHL film 1320895 item 16; book 974.8 B3p
The Historical Society of Pennsylvania has a major collection, especially of Philadelphia newspapers (1790-present).
Digital Issues Online[edit | edit source]
|Wikipedia has more about this subject: List of online newspaper archives|
Pittsburgh Jewish Newspaper Project, four publications cover 1895-2010, free.
- Penn State University Libraries digital collections Pennsylvania Civil War Era Newspaper Collection.
- Pennsylvania digitized newspapers on:Chronicling America Historic American Newspapers.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of Pennsylvania newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
- First several years of The American Weekly Mercury is available for free online (1719-1723).
- Accessible Archives ($) has The Pennsylvania Gazette (1728-1800).
- Extra! Extra! Read All About It! FREE Historic Newspapers Online: Links to free online collections of historic newspapers published in Pennsylvania.
- 1792-1904 - General Advertiser (Philadelphia, Pa.) is available online at Google News - free.
Family History Library[edit | edit source]
- Excerpts of genealogical interest abstracted from Pennsylvania newspapers : in the collection of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 198-?) FHL film 1405338–1405340
- Presbyterian Historical Society (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, The Presbyterian Newspaper, v. 49, 1879 (SLC, Utah, 1966) FHL film 504271–504272
- Miller, Daniel, Early German Newspapers FHL film 982161 item 3
- Manning, Barbara, Genealogical Abstracts from Newspapers of the German Reformed Church, 1830-1839 (Bowie, Maryland : Heritage Books, 1992) At various libraries; FHL book 974.8 K28m
- Manning, Barbara, Genealogical Abstracts from Newspapers of the German Reformed Church, 1840-1843 (Bowie, Maryland : Heritage Books, 1995) At various libraries; FHL book 973 K28m
- Clippings From the Pennsylvania Dutchman, 1949-Apr. 1953 FHL film 1035723 item 13; book 974.8 F2p
- Wright, Frederick Edward; Martha Reamy, Carlisle gazette and the western repository of knowledge; Pennsylvania Herald and York General Advertiser, Abstracts of south central Pennsylvania newspapers : items from the Carlisle Gazette and the York Advertiser pertaining to the lives of persons living in south central PennsylvaniaAt various libraries (WorldCat); FHL book 974.84 B38a
- Rice, Phillip A., Jean A. Dellock, Schuylkill Roots, researchers, Circuit and Circuit Riders (Apollo, Pennsylvania : Closson Press, c1996) FHL 974.8 K2ri v. 1,2
- Graeff, Arthur, Larry M. Neff, Selections from Arthur Graeff's Scholla (Breinigsville, Pennsylvania:Pennsylania German Society, c. 1971) FHL book 974.8 B4pgp v. 5
To access newspaper resources available through the FamilySearch Catalog, use the Place-name Search for:
- PENNSYLVANIA - NEWSPAPERS
- PENNSYLVANIA, [COUNTY] - NEWSPAPERS
- PENNSYLVANIA, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - NEWSPAPERS
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
|Sometimes the fastest way of finding obituaries is to call or email the local public library in the area where the person died. If the library does not have newspapers, a librarian often will know where they are kept. If a death date is known, and the newspapers are at the library, someone on staff will usually make a search for a small fee, or will indicate someone who will do the search.|
- Hildeburn, Charles R. "An Index to the Obituary Notices published in the Pennsylvania Gazette, from 1728-1791," The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 10 (1886):334-349. For free online access, see WeRelate.
- Smith, Gary V., Corry Weekly Herald (Corry, Pennsylvania), Index to 3000 death notices covering northwestern Pennsylvania and southwestern New York extracted from the Corry Weekly Herald (Corry, Pennsylvania) (Montgomery, Alabama :G.V. Smith, c1992) FHL film 1697903 item 1; book 974.899/C1 V4s index
- Quaker Necrology (Boston, Massachusetts:G.K. Hall, 1961) FHL film 823643 items 1-2; book 973 V23q This two-volume set represents some 59,000 death notices indexed on cards at Haverford College Library from 1922-1960. The entries were originally recorded in four periodicals: Friends' Weekly Intelligencer, The Friends' Review. The American Friend, and The Friends Review.
To access obituary resources available through the FamilySearch Catalog, use the Place-name Search for:
- PENNSYLVANIA - OBITUARIES
- PENNSYLVANIA, [COUNTY] - OBITUARIES
- PENNSYLVANIA, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - OBITUARIES
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Access Pennsylvania Digital Repository managed for the Office of Commonwealth Librarieswww.accesspadigital.org/
- USNPL:Pennsylvania - This site provides links to Pennsylvania historical newspapers and current newspaper websites.
- Chronicling America
- Newspaper Archives ($)
- Genealogy Bank ($)
References[edit | edit source]