Quick History[edit | edit source]
Wikipedia has an excellent article on Payson UT.
History of Payson, Utah County, Utah.
Payson has a city web site, with the current calendar of community events, education information, parks and recreation and other information.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Payson City Cemetery
Payson City Cemetery Department
805 E 400 439 W Utah Ave
Payson, UT 84651-2042
- Payson City Cemetery in Payson UT at official Payson City website
- Payson City Cemetery in Payson UT at Names in Stone. Location of each burial shown on map.
- Payson City Cemetery in Payson UT at Find A Grave
- Payson City Cemetery in Payson UT at Utah Gravestones
- Payson City Cemetery in Payson UT at Billion Graves. Headstone photos GPS tagged, index of photographed headstones. Cemetery location shown on Google map
Church History and Records[edit | edit source]
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Park (Payson)
- Payson 1
- Payson 2
- Payson 3
- Payson 4
Directories[edit | edit source]
- Utah County and Utah Territorial Business Directory, Culmer, 1879-80 - Free (Don's List)
- includes every resident in Utah County, Payson begins on the bottom of page 233-239
- Provo City and Utah County Directory : including the cities of Provo, American Fork, Lehi, Payson, Spanish Fork, and Springville  Library has 1891 (film), 1904-05 (film), 1913-14, 1915-16, 1917-18, 1920, 1926 (film), 1930-31, 1935-36, 1941, 1946, 1950, 1955, 1961, 1965, 1969-70, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1987, 1996- .
Genealogical and Historical Societies[edit | edit source]
The Payson Historical Society was founded in 1989 to collect and preserve historical items pertinent to Payson City History.
Georgraphy and Demographics[edit | edit source]
- The Georgraphy and Demographics of the 2000 Census listed 12,716 people.
- The History of Payson, the city initially called Peteetneet Creek, after a Ute Indian Chief is located about 60 miles south of Salt Lake, and is in Utah County.
Library[edit | edit source]
Payson City Library is located on Main Street
Museum[edit | edit source]
- Peteetneet Museum and Cultrual Arts Center is located in the historical Peteetneet School built in 1901, 10 North 600 East, Payson, UT 84651 (801) 465-5265 FAX (801)465-9427
- Take a Walking Tour of Old Fort Peteetneet, Old Fort Payson, and Historic Payson and find out about some of the old homes, and historical sites in down town Payson.
- Exhibits on the three floors of the Peteetneet Museum.
News Papers[edit | edit source]
- The Payson Chronicle 145 Esat Utah Ave, Payson, Utah 84651, phone 801-465-9221
- The Deseret News will have a section on the current Payson City news
- The Salt Lake Tribune reports on Payson local news, this paper is out of Salt Lake City.
- The Daily Herald is a Utah Valley newspaper which also reports on the Payson news.
Pioneers and People of Interest in Payson[edit | edit source]
- Irene Colvin Corbett was a Payson Teacher and nurse who went to London to study, and on her return was lost on the Titanic, read a Deseret News Article.
- Daniel Stark a Payson resident came on the Ship Brooklyn to Califorina, later he headed President Young called those Saints to come to Utah to help during Johnstons Army.
- The Curtis brothers, Lyman, Joseph and George were some of the first settlers of Peteetneet.
- The Ute Indian Chief, "BlackHawk," is buried at the BlackHawk Memorial Park 2 miles south of Payson. He was a key figure in Utah's Black Hawk War of 1865-1872.
- Walkara, was BlackHawk's Uncle, and a Ute Indian Leader who lead an attack on Fort Payson.
- James Pace was requested by President Brigham Young to settle Peteetneet Creek, arriving on 20 Oct 1850.
- Andrew Jackson Stewart had the first store in Payson, and John Courtland Searle and these families were some of the first settlers in Payson.
Schools[edit | edit source]
There are ten schools listed in Payson area, which is part of the Nebo School District.
- Barnett Elementary School 456 N 300 E, Payson, UT (801) 465-6000
- Mt Nebo Junior High School 851 W 450 S, Payson, UT (801) 465-6040
- Nebo District Community School 1050 S Main St, Payson, UT (801) 465-6031
- Payson Junior High School 1025 Highway 198, Payson, UT (801) 465-6015
- Payson Middle School 851 W 450 S, Payson, UT (801) 465-6040
- Spring Lake Elementary School 1750 S 500 W, Payson, UT (801) 465-6070
- Starbright Pre School 174 N 200 W, Payson, UT (801) 465-4496
- Taylor Elementary School 92 S 500 W, Payson, UT (801) 465-6050
- Wilson Elementary School 590 W 500 S, Payson, UT (801) 465-6060
- Payson High School Grades 10-12 1050 S Main St Payson, UT 84651-3319 801-465-6025
Footnotes and Sources[edit | edit source]
- Provo City and Utah County Directory : including the cities of Provo, American Fork, Lehi, Payson, Spanish Fork, and Springville FHL 979.224/P1 E4p