Plumstead St Nicholas, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Plumstead St Nicholas, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Plumstead St Nicholas, Kent|
|Poor Law Union||Lewisham|
|Parish registers: 1654|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1744|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
PLUMSTEAD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Lewisham, hundred of Lessness, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W division of Kent, 10 miles S by E from London. 
Plumstead is a district of the London Borough of Greenwich Plumstead Wikipedia
Plumstead St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish which included the chapelry of East Wickham, Kent
The church of St Nicholas St Nicholas Road Woolwich has been designated as a grade II* listed building British listed building
From this ancient parish were formed six other churches and chapels.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Plumstead St Nicholas parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Plumstead St Nicholas Online Parish Records|
|AC||1753-1894||1753-1894||1755-1898||1755-1898||1783-1945 (gaps)||1783-1945 (gaps)|
Records for Plumstead are found at:
- Greenwich Heritage Centre
020 8854 2452
- Medway Archives Office
Kent ME2 4AU
Telephone: 01634 332714
Fax: 01634 297060
- London Metropolitan Archives
40 Northampton Road
Tel: 020 7332 3820
Fax: 020 7833 9136
Plumstead St Margaret parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Plumstead St Margaret Online Parish Records|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Plumstead are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 578-586. Date accessed: 27 April 2013.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Nicholas, Plumstead in Greenwich Borough.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Plumstead St Nicholas in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Plumstead St Nicholas in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Plumstead St Nicholas in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.