Rhode Island Periodicals
|Rhode Island Wiki Topics|
|Rhode Island Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Rhode Island genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The major periodicals and magazines helpful for Rhode Island research are:
- The New England Historical and Genealogical Register 1847-. Published by the New England Historic Genealogical Society, 101 Newbury St., Boston, Massachusetts 02116. FHL Book 974 B2ne; some volumes are on film. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- Rhode Island Genealogical Register 1978-. Published by the Rhode Island Families Association, P.O. Box 585, East Princeton, Massachusetts 01517. FHL Book 974.5 D2ri.
- Rhode Island History 1942-. Published by the Rhode Island Historical Society, 110 Benevolent Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02906. FHL Book 974.5 H25ri.
- Rhode Island Roots' 1973-. Published by the Rhode Island Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 433, Greenville, Rhode Island 02828. FHL Book 974.5 D25r.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Rhode Island periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Rhode Island-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.