Sabana Grande, Puerto Rico Genealogy
|Puerto Rico Wiki Topics|
|Puerto Rico Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Municipality of Sabana Grande family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
History[edit | edit source]
Sabana Grande was founded in 1813 by Pedro de Acosta.
Before 1808, there was a community with its own church on the land today known as Sabana Grande Arriba. Evidence of this is the oldest baptismal registry preserved from the area, as Sabana Grande was originally a sector of the municipality of San Germán.
Also, Catalan (Spain) families with the surnames of Busigó, Malaret, and Serra, and a group of Greek immigrants with the surname Soto, all settled in the town from the time of its founding.
Hurricane Maria on September 20, 2017, triggered numerous landslides in Sabana Grande with a significant amount of rainfall.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
More recent records are protected by privacy laws. However, close relatives can request them for genealogy.
Online Records, 1805-2001[edit | edit source]
- Puerto Rico, Civil Registration, 1805-2001, index, incomplete
- Puerto Rico, Civil Registrations, 1885-2001, index, incomplete
- Puerto Rico, Civil Registration, Sabana Grande, browse images
- Puerto Rico Births and Baptisms, 1938-1947 — index
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Until the church records of this municipality are digitized and published online, write to the local Catholic Church for records prior to 1876. To find the address of the local parish, consult the Catholic Directory. For help with writing your letter or e-mail, use the Letter Writing Guide for Genealogy. If it seems that the priest would prefer to correspond in Spanish, use the Spanish Letter Writing Guide.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Search the 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 census records for information about your Puerto Rican ancestors who were there during that time period. Click here to go to the Puerto Rico Census Page
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sabana Grande, Puerto Rico," Wikipedia, The Free Encylopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabana_Grande,_Puerto_Rico#History, accessed 12/24/20.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sabana Grande, Puerto Rico facts for kids," Wikipedia, The Free Encylopedia, https://kids.kiddle.co/Sabana_Grande,_Puerto_Rico#History, accessed 12/24/20.