Saint Barthelemy Church Records
|Saint Barthelemy Wiki Topics|
|Saint Barthelemy Background|
|Local Research Resources|
For information about records for non-Christian religions in Saint Barthélemy, go to the Religious Records page.
Online Resources and Websites[edit | edit source]
- French Overseas Saint Barthelemy Civil Registration and Parish Registers, 1773-1905, index and images; incomplete
- Caribbean Births and Baptisms, 1590-1928, index
- Caribbean Deaths and Burials, 1790-1906, index
- Caribbean Marriages, 1591-1905, index
Historical Background[edit | edit source]
Religions: Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jehovah's Witnesses.
Information Recorded in the Records[edit | edit source]
Different denominations, different time periods, and practices of different record keepers will effect how much information can be found in the records. This outline will show the types of details which might be found (best case scenario):
Baptisms[edit | edit source]
In Catholic and Anglican records, children were usually baptized a few days after birth, and therefore, the baptism record proves date of birth. Other religions, such as Baptists, baptized at other points in the member's life. Baptism registers might give:
Marriages[edit | edit source]
Marriage registers can give:
Burials[edit | edit source]
Burial registers may give:
How to Find Records[edit | edit source]
Digital Copies of Church Records in the FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
Watch for digitized copies of church records to be added to the collection of the FamilySearch Library. Some records might have viewing restrictions, and can only be viewed at a Family History Center near you, and/or by members of supporting organizations. To find records:
- a. Click on the records of Saint Barthélemy.
- b. Click on Places within Saint Barthélemy and a list of towns will appear.
- c. Click on your town if it appears, or the location which you believe was the parish which served your town or village.
- d. Click on the "Church records" topic. Click on the blue links to specific record titles.
- e. Some combination of these icons will appear at the far right of the listing for the record. . The magnifying glass indicates that the record is indexed. Clicking on the magnifying glass will take you to the index. Clicking on the camera will take you to an online digital copy of the records.
Writing for Records[edit | edit source]
You will probably need to write to or email the national archives, the diocese, or local parish priests to find records. See French Letter Writing Guide or Letter Writing Guide for Genealogy for help with composing letters.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Saint Barthelemy Demographics Profile 2019", at "IndexMundi", Saint Barthelemy Demographics Profile 2019, accessed 30 March 2020.