Sidcup St John, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Sidcup, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Sidcup St John, Kent|
|Poor Law Union||Bromley|
|Parish registers: 1844|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1882|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - None|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Sidcup is a district partly in the London Borough of Bexley and partly in the London Borough of Greenwich. See Sidcup Wikipedia for current places of worship in the district.
Sidcup St Andrew was built in 1964 see Kent Churches website
Other Sidcup parishes include:
- Emmanuel Mission Church built 1887-1888 Church websiteand Kent Churches website
- Sidcup Christ Church built 1900-1901 Church websiteand Kent Churches website
- Lamorbey The Holy Redeemer (Anglican) dates from 1933 A Church near You ( with Good Shepherd)
- Lamorbey Holy Trinity Hurst Road Church website
- Days Lane Baptist Church
- Foots Cray Baptist Church Sidcup Hill
- Our Lady of the Rosary (Roman Catholic) BlackFen
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Sidcup St John parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS BTs = England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts (FamilySearch) - free|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Sidcup St John Online Parish Records|
Bexley Local Studies and Archive Centre is the Diocesan Record Office for all the Church of England Parishes within the London Borough of Bexley. Reference PA101B St John's, Sidcup 1841-1997
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
- See Kent Census
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Orpington Family History Centre, Kent is within the London Borough of Bromley, located adjacent to Orpington Station and on major bus routes through the borough and adjacent Sidcup.
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
SIDCUP, a hamlet, in the parish of Foot's-Cray, union of Bromley, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 3½ miles (S. E.) from Eltham, in the neighbourhood of St. John's church. 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 104-107. Date accessed: 20 May 2013.