South Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Records (Stellenbosch Archive) - FamilySearch Historical Records/Known Issues
| This article lists issues previously reported for this collection and
may provide solutions or workarounds to those issues.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Question 1[edit | edit source]
Question 1: The Event Type and Year Range (waypoint) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. Is there a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer 1: The following list of known waypoint discrepancies describes the event type or year range that actually exist in this collection:
- South Africa > Cape > Beaufort West > Marriages 1917-1923 should read Baptisms 1917-1923.
- South Africa > Cape > Bellville > Marriages 1960-1968 should read Marriages 1987-1994.
- South Africa > Cape > Burgersdorp > Deaths 1905 - 1920 should read Marriages 1905-1933.
- South Africa > Cape > Middelburg should be in waypoint South Africa > Transvaal > Middelburg.
- South Africa > Cape > Stellenbosch > Baptisms 1788-1847 are Marriages 1788-1847
- South Africa > Cape > Uitenhage > Marriages 1951-1965 should be in waypoint South Africa > Cape > Uitenhage North > Marriages 1951-1965
- South Africa > Cape > Wynberg > Marriages 1965-1974 waypoint should Marriages 1932-1937.
- South Africa > Free State > Kanonheuwel should read South Africa > Cape > Kanonheuwel
Question 2[edit | edit source]
Question 2: The records found at waypoint South Africa > Cape > Ladismith > Baptisms 1879-1907 and South Africa > Cape > Franschhoek > Baptisms 1877-1950 are not in chronological sequence. How do I find the record I want?
Answer 2: It appears as if all the right hand pages were filmed then all the left hand pages. When they were combined, they were not in correct sequence. For the most part, there are page numbers on the images which will enable you to arrow forward and back to the correct page. Also, it should be noted that page 210 of Ladismith parish was not captured in the filming process. The attached table has been created to link the page numbers of Franschoek Baptisms to the corresponding image number. It can be found at Dutch Reformed Church in Franschhoek, Cape, South Africa Collection Guide.
Question 3[edit | edit source]
Question 3: At waypoint South Africa > Transvaal > NG Kerk > Baptisms, memberships, 1997-1998, A-H, there are duplicate sets of records. Images 865-1638 are duplicates of images 1-764. Images 1639-1728 are duplicates of images 765-864. Should there be other records in place of the duplicate records?
Answer 3: Although the records are duplicated, there are no missing records.
- Go to the South Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Records (Stellenbosch Archive) - FamilySearch Historical Records article
- Go to the South Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Records, Stellenbosch Archive 1660-2011 collection at FamilySearch.org