South Africa Military Records
|South Africa Wiki Topics|
|South Africa Background|
|Local Research Resources|
The FamilySearch moderator for the South Africa is Daniel Jones.
For any queries regarding military history, contact the Department of Defence Archives at the South African Military Records Centre via email at email@example.com. They are located at:
20 Visagie Street
Telephone: (012) 339-4600
Fax: (012) 339-4631
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Research use: To locate information on an individual involved in the Anglo - Boer War.
Record type: Records dealing with those who fought in the Anglo - Boer War.
Time period: 1899-1911.
Contents: Varies. Archives of the Commandant - General, Transvaal Republic: list of citizens, requisition lists, taxation lists. Archives of the Intelligence Officer, Pretoria: lists of farms, and their owners, registers of burghers, lists of prisoners of war. Archives of the Officer Charged with Gathering Information Concerning Death Among the Republican Fighting Forces and the Civilian Population, 1899-1902: name of the deceased, age, address, and the cause, date and place of death. Archives of the Staff Officer, Prisioners of War, Capetown: list of prisioners released on parole or who took oath of allegiance, and list of undesirable aliens deported.
Location: Government archives, Pretoria.
Population coverage: 10% of Caucasian male population.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Second World War Dead
- Soldiers in African Forces
- Military Index 1853-2004 Ancestry ($)
- Military Records South Africa
- South African Military History Society
- South Africa Military Records
- South Africa: War Graves Project Database
- Military records transcribed
- Boer (South African) War 1899-1902
- Anglo Boer War 1899-1902 including name search
- Military Police Corps 1939-1946
References[edit | edit source]
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Southern Africa,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 1987-1998.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.