South Africa Societies
|South Africa Wiki Topics|
|South Africa Background|
|Local Research Resources|
The FamilySearch moderator for the South Africa is Daniel Jones.
Genealogical Societies[edit | edit source]
Genealogical Society of South Africa
- The goal of the GSSA is to assist those researching families in South Africa. The society is a community of amateur family researchers who are capable and willing to assist each other in their research efforts. There are 12 branches of the society that hold their own activities and meetings. Contact information for each branch is located on the website.
The eGGSA branch of the Genealogical Society of South Africa
- This branch of the society has many online historical documents, databases, and articles to assist researchers in South Africa.
Genealogiese Instituut van Suid-Afrika (Genealogical Institute of South Africa)
Website: www.gisa.org.za (currently under maintenance)
- The GISA has its own collection of records (which can be consulted for a small fee) and has publications and products available to purchase which are helpful when doing South African genealogical research.
Historical Societies[edit | edit source]
- The goal of the historical society is to promote the interest of historians through encouraging professional communication and unity among them. The society also seeks to develop southern African historiography.
Historical Association of South Africa
Telephone: +27 (0)21 511 8030
- The society is the oldest professional organization in South Africa for historians who specialize in South Africa. The society seeks to promote historical research in South Africa.
The South African Military History Society
2100, South Africa
- The society is made up of historians who desire to study and promote the study of military history. The society publishes research, lectures, and newsletters.
- The goal of the society is to preserve and promote the Huguenot history and heritage in South Africa. It collects information about the Huguenots, arranges meetings and carries out genealogical research on the Huguenot and related families.
Province of the Eastern Cape
Republic of South Africa
Telephone: + 27 46 622 2312
Email: [mailto: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org]
- The Albany Museum is a research institute that has historical collections relating to the 1820 British settlers.
Other Societies[edit | edit source]
Groups and Clubs in South Africa
- This is a list of cultural societies and clubs.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.