Spain, Diocese of Segovia, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Spain, Diocese of Segovia, Catholic Church Records, 1533-1987
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Kingdom of Spain|
|Flag of Segovia Province|
|Location of Segovia, Spain|
|Location of Spain|
|Record Type:||Catholic Church Records|
|Title in the Language:||España, Diócesis de Segovia, Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica|
|Archivos Diocesanos de Segovia|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Known Issues
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes baptisms, marriages, burials and other ecclesiastical documents of parish registers from the Segovia Catholic Diocese for the years 1533-1987. The records were kept in the Palacio Episcopal de Segovia before 2010, and were then moved to their current location in the premises of the old seminary.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in Spanish. For help reading them see:
FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
If you speak Spanish, the following free online lesson may be helpful to learn how to use the information in these records:
- Registros Civiles y Parroquiales – Spanish
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Spain, Diocese of Segovia, Catholic Church Records, 1533-1987.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The information in each record may vary by year.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Province
- Select City or Town
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Spain, Diocese of Segovia, Catholic Church Records, 1533-1987. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- If available, check the image for additional information
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try searching by surname only
- The person may be recorded with an abbreviated or variant form of their name
- Remember that spelling was generally not standardized until the early part of the 20th century
- Maybe your ancestor immigrated to another country. Search immigration/emigration records Spain Emigration and Immigration
- Civil registration records (birth, marriage, and death records) are also a good substitute for when a church record cannot be found Spain Civil Registration - Vital Records and Spain, Segovia Province Municipal Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Spain.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.