Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search
no edit summary
<br> [[England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Lincolnshire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Lincolnshire Parishes]]
<br> [[Image:Stamford St John Lincolnshire.jpg|thumb|right]]
== Parish History ==
Stamford at one time contained 13 parochial churches, but several in the liberties were destroyed by the northern soldiers, in 1461; and the number was again reduced, in 1538, at the dissolution of monastic institutions: under an act of parliament passed in 1547, certain parishes were consolidated, and five churches were allowed to remain. All Saints' parish contains a population of 1978; that of St. George, 1600;'''St. John the Baptist, 1211'''; St. Mary, 337; and St. Michael, 1259. The living of All Saints is a rectory, with that of St. Peter's consolidated. The living of St. George's is a discharged rectory, with that of St. Paul's consolidated. '''The living of St. John the Baptist's is a rectory, with that of St. Clement's consolidated.''' The living of St. Mary's is a discharged vicarage. The church, which is supposed to have been built about the end of the 13th century, on the site of one erected so early as the Conquest, is considered the mother church of Stamford. The living of St. Michael's is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of St. Andrew's and the rectory of St. Stephen's consolidated.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51295#s14 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England]''],(1848), pp. 175-180Date accessed: 27 August 2013.</ref>
<br>
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}
== References ==
{{reflist}}
[[Category:Lincolnshire]]
Moderator, editor, pagecreator
9,893

edits

Navigation menu