Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
parish history (removed copyright site content)
[[Image:Colwick-St John the Baptist(new) Nottinghamshire.jpg|thumb|center|New Colwick St John the Baptist]]
 COLWICK (St. John the Baptist), '''a parish,''' in the union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 2½ miles (E.) from Nottingham; containing 109 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Trent, comprises by computation 1235 acres; the surface is varied, the soil on the hills is a strong clay, and the remainder rich pasture and meadow land. The manor is the property of John Musters, Esq., who has a splendid house here; the village is pleasantly situated under a long range of hills on the north bank of the Trent. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 1. 0½.; net income, £220; patron, Mr. Musters. The church, which stands embosomed in foliage, contains some ancient monuments of the Byron and Musters families.  From: Lewis, Samuel A. ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' (1848), pp. 668-672. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50891 Date accessed: 15 August 2011. <br>See also [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colwick+ Colwick Wikipedia] and Lewis, Samuel A. A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 668-672. [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50891+ here]<br>
== Resources ==
Reviewer, editor, pagecreator
1,005

edits

Navigation menu