St. Georges Parish, Harford, Maryland

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

United States Genealogy  Gotoarrow.png  Maryland  Gotoarrow.png  St. George's Parish

History[edit | edit source]

St. George's Parish has served Baltimore and Harford counties. Also known as Spesutia Church.[1]

Founded[edit | edit source]


Boundary[edit | edit source]

In 1692, the Acts of the Assembly passed “That one Parish be in Spe[s]utia hundred [St. George’s]. And another Parish in Gunpowder River hundred (that is to say) from Gunpowder River to the head of Middle River [St. John’s]. And from Middle River as farre as the County goes or extends [St. Paul’s].” See Baltimore County Court Recods, Liber F, no. 1, p. 338.

Resources[edit | edit source]

Cemetery[edit | edit source]

Parish History[edit | edit source]

Parish Records[edit | edit source]

A copy of the parish records, made in 1888, is kept at the Maryland Historical Society. It has been microfilmed: FHL Film 14132 Item 5


  • Reamy, Bill and Martha Reamy. St. George's Parish Registers, 1689 - 1793. Silver Spring, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1988. FHL Book 975.274 K28r
  • Peden, Henry C. St. George's (Old Spesutia) Parish, Harford County, Maryland Church and Cemetery Records 1820-1920. Westminster, Md.: Willow Bend Books, 2002. FHL Book 975.274 K28p

A copy of the vestry book, made in 1888, and index (created 1926), are kept at the Maryland Historical Society. It has been microfilmed: FHL Film 14132 Item 3

Websites[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Spesutia Church, St. George's Parish, The Historical Marker Database, accessed 7 March 2011.