St. Marks Parish, Virginia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
History[edit | edit source]
Founded[edit | edit source]
Boundary[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemetery[edit | edit source]
Many of the graves at Little Fork Church are described at Find A Grave. Includes transcripts and select photographs.
Parish History[edit | edit source]
- Boyle, Andrew J. The Church in the Fork, a History of Historic Little Fork Church. Culpeper, Va.: Little Fork Preservation Committee, 1983. FHL Book 975.5392 K2b
- Slaughter, Philip. A History of St. Mark's Parish, Culpeper County, Virginia: With Notes of Old Churches and Old Families, and Illustrations of the Manners and Customs of the Olden Time. Baltimore, Md.: Innes & Co., Printers, 1877. Original edition: FHL Collection; digital versions at Ancestry($), FamilySearch Digital Library.
- Thomas, Arthur Dicken and Angus McDonald Green. Early Churches of Culpeper County, Virginia: Colonial and Ante-bellum Congregations. Culpeper, Va.: Culpeper Historical Society, 1987. FHL Book 975.5392 K2e
Parish Records[edit | edit source]
Parish Registers[edit | edit source]
- Somerville, Mary Lee. "Saint Mark's Parish Register Baptisms, 1794-1796," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 3, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1959):99-102. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 3 (1959).
Vestry Books[edit | edit source]
- Davis, Rosalie Edith Rogers. Saint Mark Parish Vestry Book & Levies, 1730-1785: Spotsylvania, Orange and Culpeper Counties, Virginia. Manchester, Mo.: Heritage Trails, 1983. FHL Book 975.5392 K2d Contains records about the organization of the parish, elections of church officers, hiring of ministers, payments of fees and wages, upkeep of the "gleeb" house and church, care of the poor and orphans, and the raising of levies from the parish tithables.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Little Fork Church (official site). History, photographs.
- Little Fork Church, The Historical Marker Database
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Little Fork Church," Wikipedia, accessed 28 February 2011.
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861). Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II.