Stalisfield, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Stalisfield, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Stalisfield St Mary Kent
|Poor Law Union||Faversham|
|Parish registers: 1699|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
STALISFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Faversham, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E division of Kent, 2¼ miles NNE from Charing. 
Stalisfield is a village and civil parish often referred to as Stalisfield Green, see Stalisfield Green Wikipedia.
Stalisfield St Mary with Otterden is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Canterbury and is one of a group within the Eastling with Ospringe and Stalisfield with Otterden group.
The church dates from the 13th century and anciently had a chapelry at Ore, see Oare, Kent.
The church was restored in 1904 and is designated a grade II* listed building by English Heritage British listed building.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council
Kent ME14 1XX
Telephone 08458 247 400 http://www.kent.gov.uk are developing online search for all birth marriages and deaths as a result of a community volunteer effort. Not all events are capable of search but the index is updated annually. Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Stalisfield parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Stalisfield Online Parish Records|
|FS Canterbury PRs||1538-1986||1538-1986||1538-1986|
|FMP East Kent||1538-1754||1813-1841|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Family History Library film numbers
See also England, Kent, Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts (FamilySearch Historical Records)
From Spring 2012 material formerly held at
Centre for Kentish Studies, County Hall, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1XX
is available at Kent History and Library Centre see Kent Archives which also enables a search of the catalogue for Kent Archives material deposited at Canterbury Cathedral Archives
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Stalisfield are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Canterbury Family History Centre, Kent
- Gillingham Family History Centre, Kent
- Maidstone Family History Centre, Kent
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 175-180. Date accessed: 20 May 2013.