Stanislaus County, California Genealogy
|Stanislaus County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||April 17, 1907|
|Address|| Stanislaus County Courthouse|
1021 I Street
Modesto, CA 95354
Stanislaus County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 County Courthouse
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Stanislaus County, California Record Dates
County Clerk Recorder has marriage records from 1870
birth and death records from 1900 Clerk Superior Court
has divorce, probate and court records from 1854
County Recorder has land records from 1854
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Stanislaus County Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Stanislaus County Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Stanislaus County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Stanislaus County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Stanislaus County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Military History and Records
- Stanislaus County – List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- Civil War Veterans, Grant Post No. 9, G. A. R. 1886 (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Index to Stanislaus County, World War II Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
- Stanislaus County, World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Stanislaus County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Stanislaus County Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Stanislaus County Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Stanislaus County Contributed Obituaries (CAGenWeb Project)
- Stanislaus County, California Old Obituaries Page (CAGenWeb Project)
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Stanislaus - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Stanislaus County Library
1500 I St
Modesto, CA 95354
Telephone: (209) 558-7800
The library's catalog is online. It has many items genealogy related items. The library subscribes to a number of online databases, some of which would be useful to genealogists. The Special Collections room at the Modesto Library includes works on genealogy, sections on California and local history, and older high school yearbooks. This area also includes non-current editions of local telephone and city directories. None of these items may be checked out. Volunteers from the Stanislaus Genealogical Society often staff this room and answer genealogical queries.
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to Family History Centers
- Modesto California Family History Center
- Turlock California Family History Center
Genealogical Society of Stanislaus County, CA., Inc.
P. O. Box A
Modesto, CA 95352-3660
Telephone: (209) 529-6467
The Stanislaus Genealogical Society works closely with the Stanislaus County Library's Special Collections Room, adding to its holdings, volunteering there, and answering queries.
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1800 - 1994 - California, County Birth and Death Records, 1800-1994 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- 1800 - 2007 - California, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Early Stanislaus County Marriages (Genealogy Trails)
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
McHenry Museum and Historical Society
1402 I Street
Modesto, CA 95354
Stanislaus County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 4735
Genealogical Society of Stanislaus County
PO Box A
Modesto, CA 95352-3660
Patterson Township Historical Society
PO Box 15
Patterson, CA 95363
Pocahontas Trails Genealogical Society
3628 Cherokee Lane
Modesto, CA 95356
- Stanislaus County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Sonoma County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Stanislaus County, California Genealogy Trails
- Stanislaus County CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Stanislaus County, California. Page 84-88 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 81-83.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Stanislaus County, California. Page 87At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Stanislaus County, California Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/cal/stanis/ 05/08/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Stanislaus County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislaus_County,_California 05/08/2017.