Sudbury, Suffolk Genealogy
Description[edit | edit source]
Sudbury is an ancient borough and well-built market town, pleasantly situated on the east bank of the navigable river Stour, which separates it from Essex, and sweeps in a semicircular reach, round the western skirts of the town, and is crossed by a good bridge. It is the capital of the Archdeaconry, Deanery, and Union, to which it gives name, and is distant 56 miles N.E. of London; 17 miles S. of Bury St. Edmund's ; 22 miles W. by S. of Ipswich; 10 1/2 miles W. of Hadleigh; and 7 miles E.S.E. of Clare.... ....It first sent two members to parliament in 1559, and its government, previous to 1835, was vested in a mayor, recorder, six aldermen, a bailiff, town clerk, 24 common councilmen, and two Serjeants-at mace. Under the new municipal act, the borough is included in schedule A. amongst boroughs, to have a commission of the peace and a court of quarter sessions.... ....Prior to the passing of the Reform Act of 1832, the elective franchise was enjoyed only by the freemen, of whom there were upwards of 700, but many of them being resident in distant places are now disfranchised. The number of voters, registered in 1841, was 603, consisting of 133 occupiers of houses of the yearly value of £ 10 or upwards, and 470 freemen. Some of the latter are also respectable householders, but the poorer part of them are sufficiently numerous to swamp the remainder in a contested election..... .....Here are two Independent Chapels, one built in 1839, and the other erected in 1822. in lieu of the old Presbyterian Meeting-house, which was built about 1710, by a congregation formed in 1662. The latter has an endowment for the minister and the support of a school. Here is also an old Friends' Meeting-house, and a Baptist Chapel, erected in 1834.... William White, 1844 Gazetteer of Suffolk, page 571 to 580
Church of England Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Sudbury All Saints
- Sudbury St Bartholomew
- Sudbury St Gregory
- Sudbury St Peter
- Ballingdon and Brundon, Essex
Resources[edit | edit source]
If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however , for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Sudbury and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Church records[edit | edit source]
Parish Registers began in the 1500's. They can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office. There are Bishop Transcripts and Parish Registers that have been filmed for most parishes in the County. See the Suffolk Church Records article for further details.
Census records[edit | edit source]
There are census records available for Sudbury from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Sudbury Censusin the catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in Suffolk.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details about the Census.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Sudbury was the Archdeaconry of Sudbury; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District; Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
- England Jurisdictions 1851 - see parish in context with surrounding parishes
- Vision of Britain
- Suffolk Gazetteers
Websites[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]