|Sutherland Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
Highland Family History Society
Highland Archive and Registration Centre
Inverness IV3 5SS UK
Telephone: 01463 256444
Website: Highland Family History Society
Website #2: Highland Family History Society
- The Society was established in September 1981 to promote the study of genealogy, family history, and related subjects in the Highlands of Scotland. Our area covers the old counties of Sutherland, Ross, Inverness, and Nairn (and we retain interest in, and information about, Caithness and northern parishes of Argyll and Perth, though they now have their own local family history groups).
North of Scotland Archaeological Society
Dingwall Community Centre
Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty IV15 9JZ UK
Website: North of Scotland Archaeological Society
Website #2: North of Scotland Archaeological Society
- The main objectives of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society are to further the study of archaeology in the North of Scotland and to promote that interest to a wider audience. Our membership extends across Ross-shire, Sutherland, Caithness, Aberdeenshire, Inverness-shire, and Argyll. We all share an avid enthusiasm for Highland archaeology.
Local Societies[edit | edit source]
Clyne Heritage Society
Community Centre Lounge
Brora, Sutherland KW9 6PF UK
Telephone: 01408 621338
Website: Clyne Heritage Society
Website #2: Clyne Heritage Society (Brora)
- The Society's mission is to preserve, safeguard, and promote the heritage, history, and archaeology of the parish of Clyne in East Sutherland, Scotland.
- The primary purpose of the Society is to manage and maintain a museum, known as Historylinks Museum.
- The overall aim of the Society is the advancement of local knowledge and history in our community and to stimulate interest in this area by providing regular meetings and exhibiting materials together with the sharing of materials and knowledge within the community and with other groups and individuals.
- For over twenty years, our small group has been actively gathering memories, images, documents, and artefacts relating to the archaeology and local history of Lairg Parish.
Rogart Heritage Society (Comann Eachdraidh Sgire Raoird)
Rogart IV28 3XB UK
Website: Rogart Heritage Society
Website #2: Rogart Heritage Society
- The society was formed to record and preserve the history of the parish. The quest is on-going in that we are constantly finding fresh information and coming across new images and documents for our archive.