On the location where the Taylor School once stood there is a small monument commemorating the founding of Taylor, Idaho. The monument erected by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers tells the history of the Taylor Settlement as:
“Six men came to this area from Hooper, utah, to homestead in the early spring of 1885: John, Edward and William Priest, Smith Johnson, and Edwin and Abiah Wadsworth Jr. They each built a log house on their claim before returning to Utah for their families. Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), headquartered in Salt Lake, were informed of this small settlement. In 1886 Apostle John W Taylor of the LDS Church was sent to organize the group into a branch, a part of the Bannock Stake with headquarters in Rexburg, Idaho. The decision was made to name the ward in honor of Apostle Taylor. William Priest became the first bishop. The first church meetings were held in Abiah Wadsworth Jr.’s home.
By 1886 a log structure was erected for public use on land donated by John Priest. The first teacher was John Henry Evans, the church recorder. A second multi-purpose structure, a two-room, 30 by 60 foot white frame building was built in the mid 1890s. This building burned during the winter of 1904, taking with it all church and school records. In 1905 a two-room brick building was completed. Church, school and dances were held in the building until a church was constructed in 1915.
To water this arid, sagebrush-covered land, the pioneers had to dig a 10 mile long irrigation canal from Eagle Rock, located to the north. Hay and grain, their first crops, were grown in 1890.
The beautiful Taylor Cemetery was established in April 1887 when Abiah Wadsworth Jr. and William Arave purchased 5 acres of land for $65 to bury Ellen, the infant daughter of Sarah and Abiah Wadsworth, Jr.”
All of the original buildings (the school, church and general store) are now gone and in place of them is a beautiful park and ball field. The home the general store was attached to is still there, but the store portion has been torn off of the home years ago.
The political boundaries for Taylor have changed greatly over the years. following is a list since it became part of the United States of America: Boise County, Washington Territory 12 January 1863 to 30 December 1863 Owyhee County, Idaho Territory 31 December 1863 to 21 January 1864 Oneida County, Idaho Territory 22 January 1864 to 12 January 1885 Bingham County, Idaho Territory 13 January 1885 to 2 July 1890 Bingham County, State of Idaho 3 July 1890 to 6 February 1911 Bonneville County, Idaho 7 February 1911 to present
At the present time, the area of Taylor is listed on some maps (e.g. Google Maps) as Taylorville.