Tenterden, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Tenterden, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Tenterden|
|Parish registers: 1544|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
TENTERDEN (St. Mildred), a market-town andparish, within the cinque-port liberties, having separate jurisdiction, and forming the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Tenterden, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W division of Kent, 18 miles SE by S from Maidstone, and 53 SE by E from London. 
Tenterden is a Cinque Port town in the Ashford district of Kent; see Tenterden Wikipedia for a history of the town.
Tenterden St Mildred is an Ancient Parish in the town. The Parish Church of St Mildred has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
The church of St Michael Ashford Road Tenterden has been designated as a grade C listed building British listed building.
See Edward Hasted 'The hundred, town and parish of Tenterden', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7 (1798), pp. 200-219. Date accessed: 18 November 2013. at British History Online and Kent Churches website
Other places of worship in Tenterden included:
- Honey Lane Baptist Church
- Presbyterian Church
- Providence Chapel Boar’s Isle, ( Bible Christian)
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Tenterden St Mildred parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|MIDK = Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911 - free|
|Tenterden St Mildred Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1780-1901 (banns)|
Tenterden St Michael and All Angels parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Tenterden St Michael and All Angels Online Parish Records|
International Genealogical Index
- Honey Lane Baptist Christenings 1785-1837 Batch (C091701)
- Presbyterian Christenings 1736-1837 Batch (C068661)
- Providence Chapel, Boar’s Isle, ( Bible Christian) Christenings 1830-1837 Batch (C068681)
- Wesleyan Methodist Christenings 1819-1837 Batch (C068671)
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 314-321.Date accessed: 29 May 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.