Texas, Church Records, 1845-1957 - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Texas, Church Records, 1845-1957
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Texas|
|Location of Texas|
- 1 What Is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
- 6 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What Is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes images of an index of parish registers, marriages, baptisms, burials, deaths, confirmations and communions from various churches throughout the state of Texas for the years 1845-1957. Most of the records are from the Catholic Church. Many marriages recorded in the South, are separated by race in volumes, books, or registers. Be sure to check to determine if you have the right set of marriage records.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Texas, Church Records, 1845-1957.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Name of spouse
- Date of event
- Location of event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select County, Town
- Select Church and Parish
- Select Record Type and Year Range to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Indexes and transcriptions may not include all the data found in the original records. Look at the actual image of the record, if you can, to verify the information and to find additional information.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find other church and vital records such as birth, baptism, and death records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in censuses.
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives.
- Try different spellings of the person’s names
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names.
- Check the info box above for additional FamilySearch websites and related websites that may assist you in finding similar records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Texas.
- Texas Guided Research
- Texas Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
- United States, Church Records, 1600s-the Present
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.