Tulare County, California Genealogy
|Tulare County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||April 20, 1852|
|Address|| Tulare County Courthouse|
221 S Mooney Blvd
Visalia, CA 93291
Tulare County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voter Registers
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Tulare County, California Record Dates
County Recorder has birth and marriage records from 1852
death records from 1873 & mil rec from 1919; Clerk
Superior Court has divorce, probate, court and
naturalization records County Assessor has land records
The county was named from this lake that the county derives its name. The root of the name Tulare is found in the Mexican word tullin, designating cattail or similar reeds. Tularemia is named after Tulare County. The county seat Visalia and the county was created 1852. The County is located in the central area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Tulare County Biographical Index (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Tulare County Biographies (USGenWeb Archvies)
- Index to Biographical Resources, Tulare County (CAGenWeb Project)
The following web sites may have additional information on Tulare County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Tulare County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
- Tulare County Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Tulare County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
- Tulare County History Books Excerpts (Genealogy Trails)
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Military History and Records
- 1798 - 1937 - United States Muster Rolls of the Marine Corps, 1798-1937 at FamilySearch - index and images
- 1856 - The Indian War on the Tule River (Genealogy Trails)
- 1883 - Tulare County – List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1886 - Civil War Veterans Rosters, G.A.R. Posts in Tulare County (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Index to Tulare County, World War II Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
- Tulare County, Honor List of World War II Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Index to Tulare County Naturalization Records (CAGenWeb Project)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Tulare County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Index to Tulare County Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Tulare County Individual Obituaries and Obituary Collections (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Tulare County Obituary Sources (CAGenWeb Project)
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Tular - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to Family History Centers
- Porterville California Family History Center
- Visalia California Family History Center
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- Index to Tulare County Vital Records (CAGenWeb Project)
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- Tulare County Birth Notices by year (Genealogy Trails)
- 1800 - 2007 - California, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Tulare County Marriage Notices by year (Genealogy Trails)
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
California county clerks were to keep voting registers every other year from 1866 and well into the 20th century. These large books, called Great Registers, listed the men who registered to vote in that county. Besides name and age, the record may show place of birth, address, occupation, naturalization date and sometimes even a physical description.
These records are at the California State Library (1866-1944), and microfilmed copies are available through Family History Centers (1866-1910). Ancestry ($) has a searchable database of Los Angeles Great Registers from 1873-1896.
The Tulare records for 1869, 1890, and 1898 are available on the RootsWeb site, by clicking here.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Sequoia Genealogical Society
c/o Tulare City Library, Genealogy Room
113 North "F" Street
Tulare, CA 93274; Phone:559-685-4518
Tulare County Historical Society
P.O. Box 295
Tulare County Historical Society
27000 South Mooney Boulevard
Visalia, CA 93277
- Tulare County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Tulare County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Tulare County, California Genealogy Trails
- Tulare County CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tulare County, California. Page 84-88 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 81-83.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tulare County, California. Page 88At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Tulare County, California Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/cal/tulare/ 05/09/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Tulare County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulare_County,_California 05/09/2017.