Twerton-on-Avon, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Twerton-on-Avon, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Somerset, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Bath|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Bath and Wells (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Twerton-On-Avon (St Michael) or, formerly Twiverton St Michael is an Ancient parish and village on the Avon, N.E. Somerset,1 1/2 West of Bath. Its parish registers commence from the year 1538.
TWERTON, or Twiverton, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Bath district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Avon, and on the Great Western railway, 2 miles W of Bath.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bath Civil Registration District has a complete index of civil registration from 1837-2007 online through the volunteer effort of Bath BMD,England Marriage registrations post 2007 are added as index become available. There are detailed content tables available.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Twerton St Michael and All Angels parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Twerton St Michael and All Angels Parish Online Records|
Twerton St Peter parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|TWERTON ST PETER PARISH Online Records|
Somerset Online Parish Clerks[edit | edit source]
Contributor include here any information about the transcripts for the parish and links to the Online Parish Clerk material.
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Gazatteer SOM-ZOZ British 942 E5ca v.6 at the FHL
References[edit | edit source]
- The British Library, Europeana.eu. Adapted. Date accessed: 11 April, 2013.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72. Date accessed and adapted: 25 September 2013.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1531-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- E 179 Database, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/, accessed 8 August 2013.