|Ukraine Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Description[edit | edit source]
Ukrainian is the official language, though Russian is widely spoken, particularly east of the Dnieper River which runs north-south through the middle of the country. The language of the records is Russian. Ukrainian and Russian are closely related and text in one language can be understood by a reader who knows the other language. In the area of western Ukraine, acquired by the Soviet Union after World War II, the language of the records is German, Latin, and Romanian in old Cyrillic script.
Word List(s)[edit | edit source]
For word lists and help researching in Ukrainian records, see:
- Ukrainian Genealogical Word List
- Russian Genealogical Word List
- German Genealogical Word List
- Latin Genealogical Word List
Alphabet and Pronunciation[edit | edit source]
Language Aids and Dictionaries[edit | edit source]
Additional Resources[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Ukraine,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 2001.