Unassigned Minnesota Volunteers
Brief History[edit | edit source]
"Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" by Frederick H. Dyer contains no history for this unit..
For more information on Brackett's Battalion see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 9 Dec 2010) article on Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Volunteer Cavalry.
- Civil War Archive. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Brief history of Brackett's Battalion Cavalry.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Source Material[edit | edit source]
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System,(accessed 9 Dec 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies : [Minnesota]. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084700. Other libraries with this book.
- Minnesota in the Civil War: An Illustrated History, Kenneth Carley, Richard Moe (Minnesota Historical Society Press, 2000). Book of battle histories, photographs, short biographies and a roster of the different regiments with their officers, beginning on page 204. Google book (Not all pages are shown). Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1488542. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 11 January 2011)