United Kingdom, Militia Service Records - FamilySearch Historical Records/Known Issues
| This article lists issues previously reported for this collection and
may provide solutions or workarounds to those issues.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Question 1[edit | edit source]
Question 1: I get a message “This image is viewable:
- When using the site at a family history center.
- To signed-in members of supporting organizations” for these records."
How can I view these records?
Answer 1: FamilySearch has limited rights, granted by the record custodians, to publish some images for viewing online. Images for the United Kingdom, Militia Service Records, 1806-1915 collection are only available for viewing to members of the supporting organization (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), and at FamilySearch Centers. Please check with the FamilySearch Center to verify that it is certified to view these images. These images are not available on microfilm.
If you have a church account and are not able to view images after signing in, it may be due to a registration problem, not an image access problem. Please call 1-866-406-1830 in the United States, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a brief description of the problem and steps taken thus far to resolve the issue.
Question 2[edit | edit source]
Question 2: The browse folders only contain Box Number (Digital Folder Number). How does this help me browse for the military records I am looking for?
Answer 2: The Box Numbers (Digital Folder Number) are what is called a “fake browse”. In order to find the military records you are looking for, search from the United Kingdom, militia service records, 1806-1915 - How to Use this Collection. You can
- Search by Last Names;
- Search by Life Events: Birth, entering the county of interest, as well as birth year range.
- Go to the United Kingdom, Militia Service Records - FamilySearch Historical Records article
- Go to the United Kingdom, Militia Service Records, 1806-1915 collection at FamilySearch.org - How to Use this Collection