Upper Norfolk County, Virginia Genealogy
Upper Norfolk County, Virginia genealogy and family history research page. Guide to Upper Norfolk County (1637-1646) genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including wills, deeds and land records, family histories, cemeteries, and churches.
Upper Norfolk was a county, now extinct, in seventeenth-century Virginia.
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
The original records of Upper Norfolk County, Virginia are now held at the Chesapeake City Courthouse, Chesapeake, Va. and at the Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va.
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
1646-- Upper Norfolk County was renamed Nansemond County.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Church[edit | edit source]
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Genealogy[edit | edit source]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Carter] Meade, William. Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia. 2 vols. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861. Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II - free.
- [Gookin] Thornton, J. Wingate. "The Gookin Family," The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 1 (1847):345-352. Digital versions at Google Books - free, Internet Archive - free, and American Ancestors ($).
- [Gookin] Gookins, Richard N. A History and Genealogy of the Gookin Family of England, Ireland, and America. Rev. ed. Salem, Ore.: R.N. Gookins, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 G641g 1991 and supp..
- [Newton] "Notes and Queries," The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 39 (1885):194. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). [Announces plans of Mr. Virginius Newton to publish a family history on the Newtons of Lower Norfolk, Nansemond, and Stafford counties.]
- [Norfleet] Perkins, Dorothy Neblett. Thomas Norfleet of 1666: Some of His Descendants and Allied Families, Volume I. Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.: privately published, 2001.
- [Smithwick] Brayton, John Anderson. Order of First Families of North Carolina Ancestor Biographies Vol. 1. Memphis, Tenn., 2011. FHL Book 975.6 D3bj v. 1.
Immigration[edit | edit source]
Additional resources include:
Land and Property[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog