Uppingham Poor Law Union, Rutland Genealogy
History[edit | edit source]
Uppingham Workhouse was first recorded in 1777 with space for 40. Until 1834 it was a parish workhouse, but in 1836 the Uppingham Poor Law Union began, and a new Union workhouse was built on Leicester Road to house 158 people to a design by architect William Donthorne.
In the Great War, the building was used as an auxiliary hospital staffed by a Voluntary Aid Detachment. The workhouse was closed in 1929, and taken over by Uppingham School which uses the building as a boarding house.
Parishes in the Union[edit | edit source]
Ayston, Rutland Barrowden, Rutland Beaumont Chase, Rutland Belton, Rutland Bisbrooke, Rutland Blaston, Leicestershire Bringhurst, Leicestershire Caldecote, Rutland Fineshade, Northamptonshire Glaston, Rutland Great Easton, Leicestershire Gretton, Northamptonshire Hallaton, Leicestershire Harringworth, Northamptonshire Holt, Leicestershire Horninghold, Leicestershire Laxton, Northamptonshire Lyddington, Rutland Medbourne, Leicestershire Morcott, Rutland North Luffenham, Rutland Pilton, Rutland Preston, Rutland Ridlington, Rutland Rockingham, Northamptonshire Seaton with Thorpe, Rutland Slawston, Leicestershire South Luffenham, Rutland Stockerston, Leicestershire Stoke Dry, Rutland Uppingham, Rutland Wakerley, Northamptonshire Wardley, Rutland Wing, Rutland