Arizona Deaths - Why can't I find the record?
This page will give you additional guidance and resources to find death information for your ancestor. Use this page after first completing the death section of the Arizona Guided Research page.
Additional Databases and Online Resources
1870s-1950s: Arizona Death Collections at FamilySearch
- 1962-2014: United States Social Security Death Index - at FamilySearch
- 1935-2014: U.S., Social Security Death Index - at Ancestry ($)
- 1936-2007: U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims - at Ancestry ($)
Additional Records with Death Information
Substitute records can contain information about more than one event, and are used when records for an event are not available. Because the substitute records may not be created at the time of the event, it may contain incorrect information. Search for as many substitute records as possible to corroborate information found in substitute records to help improve accuracy.
|Use these substitute records to locate death information about your ancestor:|
|Why to search the records|
|Gravestone inscriptions and cemetery records may include a birthdate.|
|Includes death and burial records. In order to access these records, researchers need to know the church their ancestor attended.|
|Contain obituaries. Before the 21st century, obituaries were mostly restricted to leading members of a community or for those who died in an unusual manner. While the majority of the population did not have their own obituaries, such records often give the individual's death date.|
|May include the name of a surviving spouse and family members|
|May include any death information for servicemen who died in service.|
|May include dates of death.|
Tips for finding deaths
Successfully finding death records in online databases depends on a few key points. Try the following search suggestions:
- Spelling variations. Your ancestor's name may be misspelled. Search with spelling variations for the first and last name of your ancestor.
- Search given name. Search by given name (leave out the last name) with the approximate date of birth or death.
- Add information. For common names, add more information to narrow the search such as approximate birth date or parent's names if known.
- Date range. Expand the date range of the search by 5 years.
- Search state. Search using the state name only instead of by county.
Why the Record May Not Exist
Known Record Gaps
- Death records begin in 1909.
Collection coverage tables show the places and time periods of original records published. Check the coverage table for the collections you searched which did not include your ancestor. Gaps in the online collection may require searches in other records or original birth records at an archive.
There is no known record loss in the counties of Arizona.