Formatting Guidelines for Research Wiki[edit | edit source]
Databases[edit | edit source]
Although, there is no one absolute way to list a database in the Wiki, the following are some guidelines that can help make the list of databases user-friendly for users.
Database on Multiple Websites[edit | edit source]
Occasionally, FamilySearch will share databases with partner websites. Below is an example of the preferred way to list a database that is the same across multiple websites.
- 1849-1940 Sweden Baptisms at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index and images; Also at: Ancestry($), MyHeritage($), FindMyPast($)
Elements should include:
- Bullet list: Start the database link with a bullet
- List Dates: If the database has dates listed, bring them to the front of the line for easy review for patrons to see which database might apply to their research goal.
- Hyphen and bold: Use a hyphen between the dates and bold the dates
- Exact title: When it is possible, list the exact title of the database in the clickable link to the database
- List website: To help let the user know what website/company provides the database, put "at" and the name of the website. You can also link the name of the website to a general search page or main page.
- Index/Images: Add whether the database contains an index, images or both. Place that after an m-dash.
- Other info: And any additional notes that would be helpful for users to know about this database. That can include a note like, incomplete. Or, information about the localities it covers if it's not stated in the database name.
- ($): If the database is on a subscription website, indicate it by putting a dollar sign in parenthesis ($) at the very end of the database link. If you are on a databases for England, you can add a p (link to the manual of style listing the other currency options.)
Historical Records database[edit | edit source]
- 1817 – 1979 Arkansas Probate Records 1817-1979 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection; images; includes guardianship records
Specific to FamilySearch Historical Records Collections:
- RecordSearch template: Instead of an external link, use the RecordSearch template to for any FamilySearch Historical Records databases.
- How to Use this Collection: Create an internal link to the Historical Records Collection Wiki page for users to easily access the information about the collection.
NOTE: add to the Wiki the templates used for FS collections
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Records