Germany Births - What else you can try
This page will give you additional guidance and resources to find birth information for your ancestor. Use this page after first completing the birth section of the Germany Guided Research page.
Additional online resources
Additional Databases and Online Resources
- 1798-1875: Speyer, Germany, Civil Registry Vital Records at Ancestry ($)
- 1874-1945: Eastern Prussian Provinces, Germany (Poland), Selected Civil Vitals at Ancestry ($)
Additional Records with Birth Information
Substitute records may contain information about more than one event and are used when records for an event are not available. Records that are used to substitute for birth events may not have been created at the time of the birth. The accuracy of the record is contingent upon when the information was recorded. Search for information in multiple substitute records to confirm the accuracy of these records.
|Use these substitute records to locate birth information about your ancestor:|
|Why to search the records|
Tips for finding births
Successfully finding birth records in online databases depends on a few key points. Try the following search suggestions:
- Spelling variations. Your ancestor's name may be misspelled. Search with spelling variations for the first and last name of your ancestor.
- Search parents. Search for the parents, if known, as the child's first name may not be on the birth record.
- Search given name. Search by given name (leave out the last name) with the approximate date of birth.
- Add information. For common names, add more information to narrow the search such as approximate birth date or parent's names if known.
- Date range. Expand the date range of the search by 5 years.
Why the record may not exist
Known Record Gaps