Deborah Gurtler, BA, AG
Education[edit | edit source]
- Brigham Young University, B.A. Family History (2009)
- Accredited genealogist for the U. S. Mid-south region, Spain and Mexico.
Experience[edit | edit source]
- Internship at the New England Historic Genealogical Society (2007)
- Family History Field Study in the Archives of Spain (2009)
- Genealogist for BYU TV’s “Generations Project”
- Worked as a case manager at Ancestry ProGenealogists
- Volunteer at Family History Centers in New Mexico and Chile
- Chairman of the Orem Multi-Stake Family History Fair, 2011
- Organizing committee for Conferencia Iberoamericana de Genealogía 2013
- SLIG 2020 Advanced Hispanic Research Course coordinator with Dr. George Ryskamp, JD AG
Conferences Attended[edit | edit source]
FGS 2014, 2015
NGS 2010, 2011, 2019
BYU Family History and Genealogy Conference (Multiple years)
Genealogical Society of Hispanic America 2017 National Conference (Keynote speaker)
SLIG 2018 Portuguese Research Course
SLIG 2017, 2020 Guest lecturer in John Philip Colletta's Immigration Course
Classes Taught[edit | edit source]
- Beginning Research in Latin America FGS February 2015
- Crossing Fronteras: Resources for Hispanic Immigration FGS February 2015
- Taller de genealogia hispana FGS August 2014
- “Registros Diocesanos” Hispanic Research Series, Family History Library, October 2011
- “Is PAF All I Really Need” Orem Multi-Stake Family History Fair, 2011 and at the Utah Valley PAF User’s Group, 2011
- “Ye Olde Handwriting” Orem Multi-Stake Family History Fair, 2011
- “Hey Grandpa, Tell Me A Story” Orem Multi-Stake Family History Fair, 2010
- “Como Empezar Mi Historia Familiar” Orem Multi-Stake Family History Fair, 2010
- Crossing the Frontera
- “I Found My Abuela in Mexico, Now What?"
- ¡Mi papá también es mi abuelo!
- Recursos en línea para México
- ¿No hay Otros Registros?
- Online Resources for Mexico
- Encontrando a nuestros primos
- ¿Qué harías tú?
- Getting Started in Mexico
- Los libros de la vida
- Búsquedas Eficaces RootsTech en Español 2017
- "Through The Eyes of the Parish Priest" RootsTech 2018
- Getting Started with Portuguese Research BYU Family History and Genealogy Conference 2018
- Intro to Research in Brazil BYU Family History and Genealogy Conference 2018
- Various Hispanic research beginner and methodology classes taught at conferences and in the Family History Library in Spanish and English.
Find more classes taught by Debbie Gurtler here.
Research Interests[edit | edit source]
- Hispanic Genealogy
- Spanish Notarial Records
- Southern U. S. especially tax lists, probate and deeds
- Portuguese Research
- Research in Latin America
- French Research, including Quebec
Languages[edit | edit source]
- Spanish – I can speak, read, and write
- Italian, French, Portuguese, Catalan, and Latin – I can read some of each
Online Activity[edit | edit source]
- Comunidad de Investigación Genealógica en España on Facebook
- Hispanic Genealogy Research Community on Facebook
- Mexico Genealogy Research Community on Facebook
- Regional administrator of FamilySearch Facebook communities for South America and Spanish research worldwide.
- @genealogynerd Follow me on Twitter
- Southern Family History Blog about genealogy research in the Southern United States