User:Kmnwestbye/sandbox New Hampshire
|New Hampshire Wiki Topics|
|New Hampshire Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places
- New Hampshire Cemeteries
- A gazetteer of New Hampshire : containing descriptions of all the counties, towns, and districts in the state John Hayward. A Gazetteer of New Hampshire : Containing Descriptions of all the Counties, Towns, and Districts in the State. Boston, Massachusetts : John P. Jewett, 1849
- New Hampshire Register and Business Directory New Hampshire Register and Business Directory 1921-1922. Digital Publisher FamilySearch International
- A Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire John Farmer. A Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire 1823. Digital Publisher FamilySearch International
- Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire, vols 1-5Sybil Noyes, Charles Thornton Libby, Walter Goodwin Davis. Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire vols 1-5. Portland, Maine : Southworth Press, 1928-1939
- Gazetteer of New Hampshire in Three Parts Eliphalet Merrill. Gazetteer of New Hampshire in Three Parts. Exeter, Printed by C. Norris & co. for the authors 1817
- New Hampshire as it is ... Edwin Azro Charlton. New Hampshire As It Is... Claremont, N.H., Tracy and Co. 1856
- New Hampshire Provincial and State Papers Vol 26 1895 Albert Stillman Baatchellor. New Hampshire Provincial and State Papers Vol 26 1895. Concord : Edward N Pearson, Public Printer 1895
Print Only Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- New Hampshire facts : a comprehensive look at New Hampshire today county by county John Clements. New Hampshire Facts : a Comprehensive Look at New Hampshire Today County by County. Dallas, Texas : Clements Research, c1987
- Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire Eliphalet and Phinehas Merrill. Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire. Bowie, Maryland : Heritage Books, Inc., 1987
- The New Hampshire Atlas and Gazetteer DeLorme Mapping Co. The New Hampshire Atlas and Gazetteer. Freeport, Maine : DeLorme Mapping Company, c1987
- New Hampshire Towns and Counties : What Was What, Where, and When Michael J. Denis. New Hampshire Towns and Counties : What Was What, Where, and When. Oakland, Maine : Danbury House, c1982
- New Hampshire, Vermont, atlas of historical county boundaries Gordon DenBoer with George E. Goodridge, Jr. New Hampshire, Vermont, Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. New York, New York : Simon & Schuster, c1993
- Communities, settlements, and neighborhood centers in the state of New Hampshire : an inventory N.H. State Planning and Development Commission. Communities, Settlements, and Neighborhood Centers in the State of New Hampshire : an inventory. Concord, New Hampshire : New Hampshire State Planning & Development Commission, c1937
Why Use Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
A gazetteer is a dictionary of place-names. Gazetteers list or describe towns and villages, parishes, states, populations, rivers and mountains, and other geographical features. They usually include only the names of places that existed at the time the gazetteer was published. Within a specific geographical area, the place-names are listed in alphabetical order, similar to a dictionary. You can use a gazetteer to locate the places where your family lived and to determine the civil and religious jurisdictions over those places.
There are many places within a state with similar or identical place-names. You will need to use a gazetteer to identify the specific town where your ancestor lived, the state the town was or is in, and the jurisdictions where records about the person was kept.
Gazetteer Contents[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers may also provide additional information about towns, such as:
- Different religious denominations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Major manufacturers, canals, docks, and railroad stations
- The population size.
- Boundaries of civil jurisdiction.
- Ecclesiastical jurisdiction(s)
- Longitude and latitude.
- Distances and direction from other from cities.
- Schools, colleges, and universities.
- Denominations and number of churches.
- Historical and biographical information on some individuals (usually high-ranking or famous individuals)