Virginia, County Marriage Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Virginia, County Marriage Records, 1771-1943
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Virginia|
|Location of Virginia|
|Multiple County Clerks, Virginia|
- 1 What Is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 What Can This Collection Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
What Is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains marriage records from county courthouses. The records include indexes, registers, bonds, licenses, and returns.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
As of 28 January 2021 this collection contained records from the following counties. Counties where no records are included are not listed. 105 records from West Virginia are also included in this collection. these counties are: Barbour (1), Fayette (1), Kanawha (96), Mason (2), McDowell (1), Raleigh (1), Upshur (1), and Wood (1). Owing to privacy restrictions not all records may be visible.
|Buena Vista||Independent City||3|
|Clifton Forge||Independent City||3|
|Isle of Wight||County||13|
|King and Queen||County||1|
|Newport News||Independent City||1|
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]
This collection contains a digital browse. Only the DGS numbers are displayed. Clicking the link in the DGS column will open a new window where you can see the images.
|DGS||Film||Item||County||Office||Type||Start Year||End Year|
|7541286||1902188||1||Accomack||Circuit Court||Minute book||1896||1896|
|7541286||1902188||2||Accomack||Justices of the Peace||Minute book||1842||1844|
|7541286||1902188||3-7||Accomack||Circuit Court||Administrator and executor bonds||1784||1798|
|7541309||2070184||1||Nansemond||County Court||Deed Book||1900||1900|
|7541309||2070184||2||Nansemond||County Court||Will Book||1892||1900|
|7541309||2070184||3||Nansemond||County Court||Marriage Index||1900||1910|
|7541309||2070184||3||Nansemond||County Court||Marriage Register||1900||1910|
|7580067||1870816||Mecklenburg||County Court||Marriage Licences||1877||1881|
What Can This Collection Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in the records:
- Names of the bride and groom
- Marriage date
- Marriage place
- Ages (some later records also give birth date)
- Marital status
- Residence of bride and groom
- Name of the clerk or the person performing the marriage
- Name of the parents of the bride and groom
How Do I Search the Collection?[edit | edit source]
To use these records it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person at the time of marriage
- The name of the intended spouse
- The approximate date of marriage
- The place where the marriage took place
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Digital Folder Number List section to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Collection Browse Page
- Click the Film number to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s marriage record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- If available, check the image for additional information
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
- Occupations listed can lead you to other types of records such as employment or military records
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the surnames
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Virginia.
Related FamilySearch historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- Virginia Marriages, 1785-1940
- Virginia, Bureau of Vital Statistics, County Marriage Registers, 1853-1935
- Virginia, Marriage Certificates, 1936-1988
- Virginia, Orange County Marriage Records, 1757-1938
- Virginia, Surry County Marriage Records, 1735-1950
- Virginia, Various Counties, Marriage Bonds, 1706-1901
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.