Wards and Branches of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in American Fork, Utah County, Utah
American Fork is a city in northern Utah County, Utah, settled in 1850 by Mormon pioneers. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in American Fork has grown from one branch in 1851 to six stakes in 2015.
Church Units and Boundaries[edit | edit source]
Information about the wards and branches in this locality, including boundaries and creation dates of wards, can be found in the following book:
- Encyclopedic History of the Church. By Andrew Jenson. Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941. Online at: BYU Books, From the list on the right side of the screen, click on the first letter of the locality, locate the page number listed in this citation. Also available through Ancestry - ($).
- Stake(s): Utah Stake (1852-1901), Alpine Stake (1901-1963)
- American Fork Branch/Ward (1851-1901) included all of American Fork and what is now Highland, south to Utah Lake. Exact boundaries to the East (Pleasant Grove), North (Alpine), and West (Lehi) are uncertain.
- American Fork 1st Ward (1901) originally included the southeast quarter: East to Pleasant Grove, South to Utah Lake, West to Center Street, North to Main Street.
- American Fork 2nd Ward (1901) originally included the southwest quarter: East to Center Street, North to 1st North, West to Lehi, South to Utah Lake.
- American Fork 3rd Ward (1901) originally included the northwest quarter and Highland: East to 1st East, South to 1st North, West to Lehi, North to Alpine. In 1915, the Highland Ward (formerly a dependent branch of the 3rd Ward) was separated; the exact original boundary with the Highland Ward is uncertain, likely the city limits.
- American Fork 4th Ward (1901) originally included the northeast quarter: East to Pleasant Grove & Manila, South to Main St, West to 1st East, North unclear (Alpine? Highland?)
Obtain the Records[edit | edit source]
in the Church History Library catalogued under LR 10636.
in the Church History Library catalogued under LR 10621.
in the Church History Library catalogued under LR 10622.
in the Church History Library catalogued under LR 10623.
in the Church History Library catalogued under LR 10624.
- Shelley, George F. (1945) Early History of American Fork: with some history of a later day
- Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p 19-21.
- Online through BYU Books. (Free) In the Text search box, type the town or unit name and click Go. Select page numbers (tiny) at the right to see the page.
- Also available through Ancestry.com ($).
Other History Resources
Many wards or branches appointed members to compile a history. Copies may be in the ward library or in homes of members. Some contain biographical sketches of members of the ward at the time of compilation.
History Timeline[edit | edit source]
This timeline (arranged by year) includes events that affected records, record-keeping, and movements of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in this area.
- 25 May 1851: American Fork Branch is organized as part of the Utah Stake. As with most early Utah congregations, it had both a bishopric and branch presidency, and it is uncertain if or when it officially became a ward before the Priesthood Reorganization of 1877.
- 13 January 1901: American Fork Ward is included in the newly organized Alpine Stake.
- 14 July 1901: American Fork Ward is divided into four wards.
- 18 July 1915: Highland Ward is divided from the northern part of American Fork 3rd (and 4th?) Ward
- 12 May 1963: American Fork Stake is divided from the Alpine Stake
- 17 June 1973: American Fork North Stake is created
- 29 April 1979: American Fork Utah East Stake is created
- 14 December 1980: American Fork Utah West Stake is created
- 23 April 1995: American Fork Utah Central Stake is created
- 14 January 1996: American Fork Utah Hillcrest Stake. is created