Wards and Branches of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Highland, Utah County, Utah
Highland is a city in northern Utah County, Utah. It was a scattered agricultural settlement when Mormon pioneers first came in the 1870s, but now contains five stakes of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Church Units and Boundaries[edit | edit source]
Information about the wards and branches in this locality, including boundaries and creation dates of wards, can be found in the following book:
- Encyclopedic History of the Church. By Andrew Jenson. Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941. Online at: BYU Books, From the list on the right side of the screen, click on the first letter of the locality, locate the page number listed in this citation. Also available through Ancestry - ($).
- Stake: Utah_Stake (1880s-1901), Alpine Stake (1901-1980)
- 1930: Highland Ward included the area between American Fork on the south, Alpine on the north, Manila on the East, and Lehi on the West. Exact boundaries are uncertain: most likely, the west line was near what is now 6800 West, north at 11400 North (Alpine/Highland city limits), east at the rim of the bench, and south near 9600 North.
Obtain the Records[edit | edit source]
- List of ward records. of Wards and Branches of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Highland, Utah County, Utah in the FamilySearch Library.
- List of ward records at the Church History Library
- Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p 335.
- Online through BYU Books. (Free) In the Text search box, type the town or unit name and click Go. Select page numbers (tiny) at the right to see the page.
- Also available through Ancestry.com ($).
Other History Resources
Many wards or branches appointed members to compile a history. Copies may be in the ward library or in homes of members. Some contain biographical sketches of members of the ward at the time of compilation.
[edit | edit source]
This timeline (arranged by year) includes events that affected records, record-keeping, and movements of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in this area.
- about 1895: Highland Branch is organized as a dependent branch of the , in the Utah Stake. Likely some members had also previously been part of the Alpine Ward.
- 13 January 1901: Highland Branch becomes part of the newly organized Alpine Stake.
- 14 July 1901: When American Fork Ward is divided, Highland Branch is assigned to the American Fork 3rd Ward.
- 18 July 1915: Highland Ward is divided from the American Fork 3rd Ward
- 10 August 1980: Highland Utah Stake divided from the Alpine Utah Stake.
- 10 November 1991: Highland Utah East Stake
- 11 November 2001: Highland Utah West Stake
- 15 May 2005: Highland Utah South Stake