Watauga Association of Genealogists Northeast Tennessee
|Address||P.O. Box 117, Johnson City, TN 37605-0117|
|President||Betty Jane Hylton|
The Watauga Association of Genealogists - Northeast Tennessee
Celebrating 45+ years 1971-2016
P.O. Box 117
Johnson City, TN 37605-0117
- 1 Benefits
- 2 History of the society
- 3 Society Officers
- 4 Society Projects
- 5 Publications
- 6 Newsletters
- 7 Collections
- 8 Events
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
Benefits[edit | edit source]
- What are the benefits for becoming a member of the society?
- Members receive copies of the Bulletin, which is published twice a year. A query section is available for members. WAGS has informative programs March - November.
- What are the benefits the society has to offer for those who are not members?
- WAGS has open meetings which the public is invited to attend. The second Tuesday evenings of each month from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. members of WAGS are in the Tennessee Room of the Johnson City Public Library to assist anyone with their research
History of the society[edit | edit source]
Watauga Association of Genealogists-Northeast Tennessee (WAGS) was organized in 1971 and published the first Bulletin May 1972. The Bulletin is devoted to copies and abstracts of original source data relating to Northeast Tennessee and adjacent areas. The Association publishes the Bulletin semi-annually -- April and October.
Society Officers[edit | edit source]
Chairman, Betty Jane Hylton
Vice Chairman, Open
Recording Secretary, Janette Foster Guinn
Corresponding Secretary, Wanda Manning
Treasurer, Susan Kubenka
Corresponding Secretary, Wanda Manning
Editor of the Bulletin, Margaret Hougland
Editorial Associates, Margaret Hougland, Elaine Cantrell, Donna Briggs, Janette Foster Guinn, Etta Mays, Mel McKay
Board of Directors, Etta Mays, Margaret Hougland, Linda Heck Blanton, Jim Wilson, Susan Kubenka, Catherine Morgan, Wanda Manning, Janette Guinn, Lois Wetzel.
Publicity, Wanda Manning
Webmaster, Amy Steadman and Joani Range-Douglas
Society Projects[edit | edit source]
Current Projects[edit | edit source]
Genealogy help session are held the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm in the Tennessee Room of the Johnson City Public Library, 100 W. Millard St., Johnson City, TN 37604.
The Watauga Assocation of Genealogists, Northeast Tennessee supports the Friends of the Archives(Facebook page).
FamilySearch Wiki Projects[edit | edit source]
Past Projects[edit | edit source]
Publications[edit | edit source]
The Watauga Association of Genealogists of Northeast Tennessee publishes an eighty-four page Bulletin twice a year, Spring and Fall. Members transcribe documents that have not been published, such as county marriages, abstracted deeds, Bible records, cemeteries, wills. Back issues are available for purchase. A list can be found here or by writing to WAGS, Post Office Box 117, Johnson City, TN 37605-0117
Newsletters[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
WAGS does not maintain a collection but purchases books and materials to be donated to the Johnson City Public Library's Tennessee Room.
Events[edit | edit source]
Society Meetings[edit | edit source]
The Watauga Association of Genealogists will meet in the Jones Meeting Room of the Johnson City Public Library, 100 West Millard Street, on Tuesday March 5 at 6:30 pm.
Any one interested in genealogy or history is welcome to attend. For additional information, please see http://www.wagsnetn.org/ or email email@example.com.
Workshops[edit | edit source]
Check the web site for current information about workshops/seminars.
Board Meetings[edit | edit source]
The WAGS Board of Directors meet the last Tuesday of each month from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
Frequently Asked Questions[edit | edit source]
- Q. What are the directions to the society?
- A. Meetings are held in the Johnson City Public Library, Jones Meeting Room, 100 W. Millard St., Johnson City, TN (corner of N. Roan St. and Millard). WAGS publications are located in the Tennessee Room of the library.
- Q. What are the society's hours of operation?
- A. WAGS meets the first Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. except for January and February. Special meetings are held in July and December. WAGS members assist genealogy researchers in the Tennessee Room of the Johnson City Public Library on the second Tuesday of each month, 6:30 p.m. to closing.