Whatley, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Whatley, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Somerset, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Frome|
|Parish registers: 1672|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1598|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WHATLEY (St. George), a parish, in the union and hundred of Frome, E. division of Somerset, 2¾ miles (W. by S.) from Frome. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Independents.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Whatley, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (findmypast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Whatley, Somerset Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 27 September 2013
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1531-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 26 July 2016.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 3 February 2014.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 29 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.