Winchester St Maurice, Hampshire Genealogy
Guide to Winchester St Maurice, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Winchester St Maurice, Hampshire|
|County||Hampshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Winchester|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1780|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|DSDC = Dustydocuments.com|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG =FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|GENUKI = GENUKI - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|KNRT = Knightroots.co.uk|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|WINCHESTER ST MAURICE PARISH (1538) Online Records|
Winchester St Maurice was an ecclesiastical parish within the boundary of the ancient parish of Winchester Cathedral. Its parish registers commence from the year 1538.
To view a more comprehensive list of all surrounding chapels and parishes within the ancient parish boundary of Winchester Cathedral, be sure to visit the Winchester Cathedral, Hampshire Genealogy page.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Occupations[edit | edit source]
Weller, Michael. Generations of Grants: Winchester Tailors. History of Grants, who were tailors in Winchester. Article starts with the baptism of George Grant in 1792 at St. Maurice, with history of the continuing generations with the last death entry being in 1992. Article includes a family tree, and pictures of William F Grant, and family, and an individual picture of Frederick C. Grant. Other surnames mentioned in the tree are Sampson, Sherman, Griffin, Palmer, Bartlett, Budd, Brooks, Gardner, Mould, Hunter, Luthi. the Family tree starts back in 1735 with George Grant's birth. Article in the Hampshire Family Historian vol. 32, part 1, pages 20-24, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013. Date ranges are not clearly identified.
- 'Hampshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 23 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 5 October 2013.
- Phillimore Hampshire Parish Marriage Registers, Vol. 13 (1900). Digital version at GENUKI - free.
- 'Hampshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 2 October 2013.