Winnebago Indian Agency (Minnesota)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The heading "Winnebago" was not used regularly for the correspondence relating to the principal agency for the Wennebago Indians until 1847. The correspondence dated before 1830 relates to Winnebago Indians rather than to the affairs of any one agency. The letters from 1840 to 1836 relate primarily to two sub-agencies for the Winnebago Indians that operated independently of the main agency at Prairie du Chien.
Fort Winnebago Subagency Subagents[edit | edit source]
John H. Kinzie 1828, Robert A. McCabe 1833
Winnebago Agents and Appointment Dates[edit | edit source]
Jonathan E. Fletcher 1848, Abram M. Fridley 1850, Jonathan E. Fletcher 1848, Abram M. Findley 1850, Jonathan E. Fletcher 1853,Charles H. Mix 1858, St. A. D. Balcombe1861, Charles Mathewson 1865, George W. Wilkinson 1869, Howard White 1875.
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1904 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 461-470. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 583122-583129 and 583006-583022). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription website.
Records Available through the Family History Library[edit | edit source]
Vital Records part of Indian Census Rolls above
- Birth and Death records 1924-1931 FHL film 583126
- Birth and Death records 1925-1932 FHL film 583127 and 583128
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M595, p. 51.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online