Withyham, Sussex Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||East Grinstead|
|Registration District||East Grinstead|
|Parish registers: 1661|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1606|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury for the Exempt Deanery of South Malling|
|Location of Archive|
|Sussex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WITHYHAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of East Grinstead, hundred of Hartfield, rape of Pevensey, East division of Sussex, nine miles (E. S. E.) from East Grinstead includes Buckhurst and New Groombridge. A chapel of ease was dedicated to St. John.
The church dates from at least the late thirteenth century; there is record of the rebuilding in the fourteenth century to construct the Sackville chapel. In 1672 the rebuilt church replaced the church which was destroyed by a lightning strike so powerful that the bells were melted, but it was not until 1680 that the Sackville Chapel was replaced.
The church contains a memorial to the poet Vita Sackville-West within the Sackville family chapel.
Withyham is a small village although the the ecclesiastical and civil parish is large and includes part of the northern Ashdown Forest. The hamlet of Buckhurst includes Buckhurst Park home of Earl De La Warr who maintains the Sackville family presence in the Parish. New Groombridge is with the parish and county; Old Groombridge is in the modern Speldhurst District of Kent.
A history of the church can be found at Sussex Parish Churches Withyham St Michael and All Angels
Withyham St John is also known as Crowborough St John the Evangelist.
See also a list of places to worship in Wealden Wikipedia for New Groombridge churches of St Thomas the Apostle and former Methodist Chapel now the Church of St Pius V Groombridge.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
For civil registration history see East Grinstead registration district
Certificates may be obtained from
East Sussex The Register Office
BN21 4UG Phone01323 464780 Fax 01323 431386 email email@example.com
Church records[edit | edit source]
Withyham, Sussex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|SOPC = Sussex Online Parish Clerks - free|
|Withyham, Sussex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Withyham
Groombridge parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Groombridge Parish Online Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Adapted 21 May 2013
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 30 December 2013. Described as 'Withyham,' 'Crowborough St John,' and 'Withyham St Michael.'
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Sussex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 3 January 2014.
- Sussex Online Parish Clerks, accessed 7 January 2014.