100th Regiment, New York Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 100th Regiment, New York Infantry was organized at Buffalo, N. Y., January, 1862. The regiment mustered out August 28, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 100th Regiment Infantry "2nd Regiment, Eagle Brigade", (accessed 10 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company B - recruited principally at (Attica), Wyoming County, (Batavia), Genesee County, (Bergen), Genesee County, (Caledonia), Livingston County, (East Pembroke), Genesee County, (Greenwood), Orange County, (Greigsville), Lewis County, (Jamestown), Chautauqua County, (Le Roy), Genesee County, (Lodi), Seneca County and North Hector), Schuyler County, (Pearl Creek), Wyoming County, (Persia), Cattaraugus County, (Pavilion), Genesee County, and (Victor), Ontario County
Company F - originally intended for the Astor Regiment
Company G - recruited principally at (Buffalo), Erie County
Company I - recruited principally at (Buffalo),Erie County
Company K - recruited principally at (Buffalo),Erie County
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Stowits, George H.History of the One Hundredth Regiment of New York State Volunteers : being a record of its services from its muster in to its muster out, its muster in roll, roll of commissions, recruits furnished through the Board of Trade of the city of Buffalo, and short sketches of deceased and surviving. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083792 and (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photo duplication Service, 1988) FHL Film 1486486
- Hawks, Steve, The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Hazard, George S. Introduction to the records of the Buffalo Board of Trade regiment, 100th N. Y. S. Vol's. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083791
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).