11th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry
The 11th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry was organized at Providence and mustered in October 1, 1862. It was mustered out July 13, 1863. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 11th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 11th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry, (accessed 1 April 2013).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company I - Captain Thomas B. Carr - many men from Newport County.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
Books and Films
- Mowry, William A. (William Augustus). Camp life in the Civil War, Eleventh R. I. Infantry. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6118552
- Nickerson, Ansel D. A raw recruit's war experiences. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083371
- Parkhurst,Charles H.-Incidents of service with the Eleventh Regiment, Rhode Island Volunteers. (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1975), FHL film #1550318 Item 39 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083372
- Rock, R. W. History of the Eleventh Regiment, Rhode Island Volunteers, in the war of the rebellion. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083374
- Thompson, John C., History of the Eleventh Regiment, Rhode Island Volunteers, in the war of the rebellion (1881) View the book at archive.org, Google books,
- United States. Army. Rhode Island Infantry Regiment, 11th (1862-1863). Eleventh Rhode Island Regiment Veteran Association eighth winter reunion, 1888-9. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083370 and A statistical history of Co. I, 11th R. I. : together with an account of its 10th reunion, holden on the grounds of the Warwick Club, Friday, July 13, 1883. FHL fiche 6083373
- Civil War In The East.com- Historical timeline of the 11th Rhode Island Infantry Regiment in the American Civil War.
- Albros in the Civil War - A list of people with the surname of Albros in the CivilWar/
- Mattesons in the Civil War- People with the surname of Matteson (and other spelling variations) who served in the Civil War
- Brown's on the Civil War from Rhode Island - A list of people with the surname of Brown who served in the Civil War.
- Converse Surname in the Civil War- A list of people with the surname of Convers who served in the Civil War.
- The Civil War Archive - Union Regimental Histories