1st Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Confederate)
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Quintard, C. T. (Charles Todd). Doctor Quintard : chaplain C.S.A. and second bishop of Tennessee : being his story of the war (1861-1865). (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082678
- Toney, Marcus B. (Marcus Breckenridge). The privations of a private : the campaign under Gen. R.E. Lee; the campaign under Gen. Stonewall Jackson; Bragg's invasion of Kentucky; the Chickamauga campaign; the Wilderness campaign; prison life in the North; the privations of a citizen; the Ku-Klux Klan; a united citizenship. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082676 and FHL fiche 6082677
- Watkins, Samuel R. 1861 vs 1862, "Co. Aytch", Maury Grays, First Tennessee Regiment, or, A side show of the big show. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL Fiche 6082679 and (Jackson, Tennessee : McCowat-Mercer Press, 1952), FHL book 976.8 M25ws
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).